Tuesday, June 2, 2015

A great man remembered...

Just over a week ago my 96 year old Grandpa fell during the night and really hurt his back. They took him to the hospital and after a while of observations and tests they decided it would be best to admit him to the hospital and keep watch for a few days before sending him home. But as time went on, we quickly realized our Grandpa wasn't going to be on this earth much longer. He had lived a good, long life but was oh so lonely without my Grandma since she passed away a few years ago.

We decided to take the kids up to visit Grandpa in the hospital and I knew, without a doubt in my mind, that this was going to be the last time we saw him in this earthly existence. He was so ready to go home to my Grandma.

When Karl and I walked into his room and asked him how he was, his response to me was, "I'm waiting for Grandma to come and get me. And she's late!" 

I asked him if he wanted us to bring the kids in to say hi and he asked me if I thought it would be too scary for them or give them the wrong impression about death. When I said they understood what was going on he asked me to bring them all in and line them up so he could say good bye. He told us all how much he loved us and that he was proud of everything we had accomplished then sent us on our way.

(I love this family picture we took outside the hospital. What you get when you try to make kids that don't want to take a picture, take a picture.)

Today, two days later, we got the call he had passed away.
As hard as it is to know he is gone, knowing he is once again with our Grandma makes it so much easier to accept.

We love you so much Grandma and miss you already. Can't wait for the day we can see both you and Grandma again!

1 comment:

Tannie Datwyler said...

What a sweet moment Liz! I'm sorry for your loss, but what an example of faith and enduring to the end.